Transferring images from Mac to Inquisit with a PC

Author
aeruggles
Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I have a Mac that I have used to create some image files with the program Adobe Photoshop Elements.  Originally I saved these files as a TIF file, then I switched them into JPEG format.  I have tried using both formats of the images to include in my priming task with Inquisit.  Since Inquisit is not yet compatible with Mac, I have transferred this code along with the images I created onto a Dell laptop.  When I try to run the code, Inquisit tells me that the image files are not able to be located or do not exist.  Can anyone tell me how I can get these images to appear on the Dell?  Do I need to make the JPEG's into PDF's or something?

seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)
Group: Administrators

Hi there,

JPG is a perfectly suitable format for displaying images with Inquisit. The problem is likely due to Inquisit not being able to find the images. For Inquisit to find the images, make sure the following are true:

1) The file names for the images listed in the <item> tags of the script match the file names of the images themselves
2) The image files are located in the same folder as the Inquisit script file.

When you run Inquisit, look at the full text of the error message - it will tell you where Inquisit is looking for those files. That should hopefully provide another clue.

-Sean

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

Hmm, I've got a hunch as to why this might be happening. On the Mac,
open the files in Photoshop and then check if the image mode is set to
CMYK. If so, change it to RGB, re-save the files and transfer them back
to the PC. Also make sure that there aren't any special characters in
the file names that Windows can't handle.

Hope this helps,

~Dave

EDIT: The attached script should replicate the error
using two image files. One is encoded with in the CMYK color space and
will not load, the other one was re-encoded to RGB color space and
should display just fine.

Attachments
CMYK_vs_RGB.zip (645 views, 66.00 KB)
aeruggles
aeruggles
Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Thank you guys, I tried both of your suggestions and got the images to show up!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

It would be nice if you could tell us what exactly did the trick. This might be helpful for other users running into similar problems.

Thanks,

~Dave

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search