How to present items that were not chosen by a user

Author
Wendy
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi all,

I need to present two items at one time for a user to choose one of them, and then present the chosen one and the not chosen one individually.  I know how to present the item chosen by the user, and I would like to ask how to present the item that was not chosen by the user?

Thanks a lot in advance!  Wendy

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

Check out the attached sample script. You should be able to take it from there...

Best wishes from a fellow Inquisit user,

~Dave

Attachments
unselecteditems.exp (787 views, 1.00 KB)
Wendy
Wendy
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for your prompt help.  the command in your file is amazing, it works perfectly. I have a further silly question.  How could I create an item pool for the selected and an item pool for the unselected?  i did as following, but the program shows an error hint: "unabled to initalize <picture unselected> item number 1"

<item selected>
%item.selected.item.1%
%item.selected.item.2%
</item>

<item unselected>
%item.unselected.item.1%
%item.unselected.item.2%
</item>

<picture selected>
/ items = selected
</picture>

<picture unselected>
/ items = unselected
</picture>

<trial select>
/ stimulusframes = [1 = pic_A, pic_B]
/ validresponse = (pic_A, pic_B)
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ ontrialend = [if(trial.select.response=="pic_A")
{item.selected.item=picture.pic_A.currentitem;
item.unselected.item=picture.pic_B.currentitem}]
/ ontrialend = [if(trial.select.response=="pic_B")
{item.selected.item=picture.pic_B.currentitem;
item.unselected.item=picture.pic_A.currentitem}]
</trial>

Thanks a lot! 

Best Regards, Wendy

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

These

<item selected>
%item.selected.item.1%
%item.selected.item.2%
</item>

<item unselected>
%item.unselected.item.1%
%item.unselected.item.2%
</item>

should actually look like this:

<item selected>
</item>

<item unselected>
</item>

If that doesn't do the trick there must be something wrong with a portion of the script you haven't posted. In this case it would be great if you could put the whole script along with your pictures into a *.zip file and attach it to this thread.

~Dave

Wendy
Wendy

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for all your answers!  The tricky part is, in the following, i should add an semicolon after "picture.pic_B.currentitem", i.e., it should be ....picture.pic_B.currentitem;}]

<trial select>
/ stimulusframes = [1 = pic_A, pic_B]
/ validresponse = (pic_A, pic_B)
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ ontrialend = [if(trial.select.response=="pic_A")
{item.selected.item=picture.pic_A.currentitem;
item.unselected.item=picture.pic_B.currentitem}]
</trial>

Many thanks to you! Your answers help a lot.

Best Regards, Wendy

Dave
Dave

The tricky part is, in the following, i should add an semicolon after "picture.pic_B.currentitem", i.e., it should be ....picture.pic_B.currentitem;}]

Why is that? The code works perfectly fine on my system without the additional semicolon...

Baffled,

~Dave

Wendy
Wendy

I don't know......I tried to add a semicolon because I found that the program can present the selected items but cannot present the unselected items, and I found the only difference between the selected and the unselected might be that ";". And I add it, and it works, I don't know why though. Anyway, the code works now. So many thanks to your prompt help!  Best Regards, Wendy

Dave
Dave

Thanks for reporting back your observations, Wendy. Out of pure curiosity I'd like to follow up on this -- I just want to know if we're hitting a bug here or if there's something else going on. So -- if possible -- could you provide the following information:

(1) The version of Inquisit you're running (as reported via Help -> About Inquisit...).

(2) Your operating system (e.g. Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, etc.).

(3) The script that exposes the odd behavior. Best thing would be to put the script and all supporting files (pictures, etc.) in a *.zip file and attach it to this thread. When posting a reply, click on the 'Options' tab to find controls for uploading / attaching files to a forum thread.

Thanks,

~Dave

Wendy
Wendy

Hi, Dave, thanks a lot. (1) 3.0.2; (2) win XP; (3) actually the "unselecteditems.exp" file cannot show the unselected text in the summary trial. the output looks like "You did not select  , and ."

Best Regards, Wendy

Dave
Dave

(1) 3.0.2;

Ahh - that explains it. I just checked and was able to replicate the problem with Inquisit 3.0.2.0. So, clearly this *was* a bug. With that said, you should update your installation to the current release version (3.0.4.0) available from http://www.millisecond.com/download/. Many bugs have been fixed since 3.0.2.0 (which was released almost two years ago), so updating is definitely worth the effort.

Best,

~Dave

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search