picture file types

Author
tabakj
Partner Member (605 reputation)Partner Member (605 reputation)Partner Member (605 reputation)Partner Member (605 reputation)Partner Member (605 reputation)Partner Member (605 reputation)Partner Member (605 reputation)Partner Member (605 reputation)Partner Member (605 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I have a new experiment in which I am using a total of about 2000 color images.  Currently, I have the images saved as BMP files, so the images take up about 5.5 GB -- and Inquisit chokes on the script when I try to run it.

Thus, I need to convert my images to a format that will have smaller file sizes.

I would prefer to convert the images to PNGs so that I don't lose quality.  Is there a way to use PNG "pictures" in Inquisit?  I could convert to JPG if absolutely necessary, but I strongly prefer to stick with a lossless file format.  Any change Inquisit is heading towards PNG support?

-Josh

Tags
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

I can't speak to the matter of future PNG support, but I believe that this is actually of minor relevance in this case. Here's why: AFAIK, Inquisit converts all picture files to a native display format when parsing a script. So it doesn't actually matter whether your  source files are BMP's or JPG's -- when parsed they'll take up the same amount of memory. The only difference between compressed (JPG) and uncompressed (BMP) source files should be a (slightly) longer parsing time for compressed files as Inquisit needs some time to expand them to its native display format. Bottom line: With 2000 picture files (that's a whole lot!), Inquisit will probably choke your system regardless of the source format. Any chance you can reduce the amount of pictures?

Best wishes from a fellow Inquisit user,

~Dave

EDIT: Here are a few related forum threads:

http://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic3153.aspx

http://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic1769.aspx#1769

seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)
Group: Administrators

Dave's correct - converting to another image format won't make any difference. If you reduced the actual height and width of the pictures, that would help, however.

I would expect it to take a while for Inquisit to process the pictures,
but unless it runs out of memory, it should eventually succeed. When you say that Inquisit "chokes", what exactly happens?

-Sean

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search