Randomizing IATs and Surveys

Author
Laura
Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hello Millisecond Community!

I have been working on creating scripts for the past several months for a large study (my doctoral dissertation).  I will be using the web-based version of Inquisit to collect my data.  As part of the study, I am administering 3 different IATs and multiple surveys.  Thanks to the online forum and help function, I have been able to combine the 3 IATs into one script and have randomized the order in which the IATs appear.  I have lumped the surveys into 2 separate scripts: explicit measures (includes a total of 5 separate surveys) and other surveys (6 separate surveys, including demographics).  I also have an introduction page that I would like for each participant to read and a conclusion page for them to read at the end.  

Here comes the first question (finally!).  I would like to combine all of these scripts, but randomize their order.  Specifically, I want participant 1 of 2 to get the following: intro page, explicit measures, IATs, other surveys, conclusion.  I want participant 2 of 2 to get: intro, IAT, explicit, other surveys, conclusion.  Can this be done while still maintaining the various formats that I have used?  I understand that randomization can be done using the <include> element; however, I would have to use the same <defaults> for everything (which from my understanding would mean that I would lose the <surveypage> features).  I saw there was potential for randomization to be done using the <batch> function with future versions.  Is that now available? 

My second question is this: is it possible to randomize survey pages within the <survey> element for surveys that span multiple pages?  For example, I have 1 survey that is a single page (page 1) and a vignette that spans 3 pages (pages 2,3,4).  I would like to randomize the order in which they are taken.  I am currently using the "noreplace" function for / pages, but I cannot find a way to keep some of the pages together while randomizing.  I would like to do something like the following, but I know this is invalid syntax:

/ page = [1 - 2&3&4 = noreplace(1, 2, 3, 4)]

Help with both of these questions would be greatly appreciated!

-Laura

seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)
Group: Administrators

Hi Laura,

I sounds as if the <batch> element is the way to go for you. The simplest way to approach this is to have each measure in a separate script, then create launch script that contains a different <batch> element for each possible ordering or scripts. You can use the /subjects command on each <batch> to assign a particular order to a particular subject, either randomly or based on the subject id. Inquisit will then select which batch to run for a given subject.

For your second question, you could either split page 1 and 2&3&4 into two separate surveys and randomly vary the order, or you could create branches from 2->3 and 3->4, and define the page command as follows:

/ pages = [1-2 = noreplace(1, 2)]

The survey would then select either page 1 or page 2 to start. If page 1 is selected first, it runs page 2 second, and page 2 will branch to 3 and 3 will branch to 4. If page 2 is selected first, the branching will ensure pages 3 and 4 are run next, after which page 1 will be selected.

Hope this helps,

Sean

Laura
Laura
Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Thanks Sean!  It works great now!

-Laura

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search