"Continue" label on summary page if two standard IATs are combined via "include"...

Author
Sonja
Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hello again,

I have a small problem with the programming of two IATs - let's call them IAT1 and IAT2 - that will appear one after the other. I have created an "include" script which combines the two and the script is working just fine. But here's the thing - it's really a small problem, but it drives me nuts [8-)]:

Since I divided the participants into subgroups, the two IATs will run in different order depending on who is working on them. For participant #1, IAT1 will appear first, for participant #2, IAT2 will appear first and so on. At the end of the first IAT (whichever it is), the summary page will appear with the D-measure result. But as the participants are forwarded automatically to the second IAT, I would like to include the button "Click here to continue" that is also used on the introduction pages instead of the default spacebar command.

The "instruct" element would probably not work, because first of all, I can only define one and this one is included in the "include" script and furthermore, it would not work on the summary page since this is not identified as a "page". I have tried to play around with this option, but it didn't work out well.

So is there a way how I can replace the spacebar command with the "continue" button on summary pages? If there is no solution to this problem I can of course easily adjust the text of the summary page to "press spacebar to continue" but I think it would just look nicer to have the "continue" button just like it is on the introduction pages. Does any of you have an idea how to do this? I would be very thankful for helpful comments...

Thanks so much!

Sonja

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

(1) Change the /inputdevice attribute for <trial summary> to mouse.

(2) Add a <text continue> or <picture continue> element representing your continue button to the script and have it displayed by <trial summary.

(3) Change the /validresponse attribute on <trial summary> to "continue".

Regards,

~Dave

Sonja
Sonja
Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Hello Dave,

thanks so much for your suggestion! However, your solution doesn't seem to work yet. I have probably made some avoidable mistake, therefore I am posting the relevant part of my script for you because I am not sure whether I understood number (2) of your suggestion correctly (btw, "Fortfahren" means "continue" as you've probably guessed already). I have highlighted the parts of the script that I have changed according to your suggestion (or maybe only according to my interpretation of your suggestion):

<trial iat1summaryfirst>
/ stimulustimes = [0=iat1summaryfirst, iat1continue]
/ validresponse = ("Fortfahren")
/ recorddata = false
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ ontrialbegin = [values.magnitude = "eine sehr geringe bis keine"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) > 0.15 ) values.magnitude = "eine leichte"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) > 0.35 ) values.magnitude = "eine mittlere"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) >= 0.65 ) values.magnitude = "eine starke"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if(expressions.d >= 0.0) expressions.preferred = item.iat1targetALabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if(expressions.d < 0.0) expressions.preferred = item.iat1targetBLabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if(expressions.d < 0.0) expressions.notpreferred= item.iat1targetALabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if(expressions.d >= 0.0) expressions.notpreferred= item.iat1targetBLabel.1]
</trial>

<text iat1continue>
/ items = ("Fortfahren")
/ position = (50%, 90%)
/ txcolor = (255, 255, 255)
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3.5%)
</text>

<text iat1summaryfirst>
/ items = ("Ihr IAT Wert (D) beträgt <% expressions.d2dec %>. Dies weist auf <% values.magnitude %> automatische Wiedererkennung und Präferenz der Markenwelt von <% expressions.preferred %> hin. Vielen Dank für Ihre Teilnahme. Bitte drücken Sie nun auf 'Fortfahren', um zum zweiten Test zu gelangen.")
/ hjustify = left
/ size = (90%, 60%)
/ position = (50%, 85%)
/ valign = bottom
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3.5%)
</text>

Right now, I can only continue to the second IAT by pressing the spacebar and the default command appears at the bottom of the screen (like "Press spacebar to continue"). Can you find the error I've made in the script? Again, thanks so much!

Regards,

Sonja

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

The validresponse attribute must contain the *name* of the clickable element, not its item:

/ validresponse = (iat1continue)

Regards,

~Dave

P.S.: You must, must, must complete the tutorials contained in the Inquisit helpfile before making further changes.

Sonja
Sonja

Hi Dave,

thanks again and sorry to bother you. However, it is still not working, it does the same as before. I guess I'll just have to stick to the spacebar command then, since the validresponse attribute seemed to be the only apparent error in my script, right?

Anyway, thanks so much again.

Regards,

Sonja

Dave
Dave

Put your script and all supporting files (pictures, etc.) in a ZIP file and attach it to this thread (see the Options tab when posting a reply). I'll fix it for you then.

~Dave

Sonja
Sonja

Hi Dave,

thanks so much!!!! I have attached all the files you need in a zip folder (don't worry about the quality of the pictures, they will be better once I upload it all on my server). I haven't changed anything since we last talked. If you have any questions, let me know.

Best regards,

Sonja

Attachments
IncludeIAT_Sonja_11Nov2010.zip (596 views, 276.00 KB)
Dave
Dave

Hi Sonja,

the attached set of files should do the trick.

Regards,

~Dave

Attachments
FixedMouseInput.zip (600 views, 277.00 KB)
Sonja
Sonja

Hi Dave,

sorry for not replying sooner. Thank you so much, the script now works perfectly! [:)]

Regards,

Sonja

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search