Inquisit 2 Web Edition -- frequent crashes

Author
rickcheung
Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I have been using my Inquisit 2 Web License for a few years now without any problem.

Last week I put up a new program and have been running participants since then. For more than 50% of the time, the program crashes/hangs. It mostly crashes when participants were doing Likert-scale items.

Is there anything I could do to get around?

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

Inquisit 2.0 is a somewhat outdated product by now. It was last updated in 2008, the last supported OS is Vista, and there are no plans to update the Inquisit 2.0 codebase for compatibility with the latest browsers and operating systems. It's possible that the issues you're experiencing are due to such incompatibilities (i.e., particpants running Win7, IE9, 64bit, etc.), however at least make sure you're using the latest version of the Inquisit 2.0 web control (2.0.61004.7). You might also want to test systematically if different launch methods (ActiveX, ClickOnce, Firefox plugin, etc.) give you different results under different software (browser / OS) configurations. If so, you could restrict yourself to those that work best.

Hope this (somewhat) helps,

~Dave

rickcheung
rickcheung
Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)Partner Member (788 reputation)

Hi Dave,

I am running Win XP so that should not be the problem. Perhaps it's the browser?

At the time we purchase the license ("perpetual") we thought that there would be a reasonable level of support (like update such that it is compatible with major browser and OS). So that's disappointing.

Rick

seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)
Group: Administrators

Hi Rick,

Based on the description of the problem, it may well be that the problem you are encountering is specific to the script, so we should explore that possibility (and potential workarounds) before writing this off as an OS/browser compatibility problem. Inquisit 2 was tested with Vista, and I would expect that if there are compatibility issues with Windows 7, they would be limited to specific features. Anyway, the fact that you are running Windows XP suggests the OS isn't the issue.

Can you reply (or email support at millisecond dot com) with the script that is causing problems?

Also, what browser and version are you using? I'm not aware of any incompatibilities with IE8 or Firefox 3. However, IE 9 and Firefox 4 were very recently released, so it's possible some new issues have popped that we haven't yet heard about.

Thanks,
Sean

rickcheung
rickcheung

I think the issue is with Firefox 3.6.15. It turns out that the program runs with IE 8 with no problem. Just for your info.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search