Web experiment stalls

Author
CultureResearch
Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

We are running an experiment that presents a series of screens (via survey pages) accompanied by short audio clips (mp3 format).  The experiment has three conditions, and each condition uses 11 clips.  In creating and debugging the script, my student and I have run it off the web many times.  Now that we are asking people to test it from their own computers, we find it does not work.  After downloading the audio files, the program stalls and does not show the Start button that normally appears below the title of the experiment.

It is hard to replicate these testers' experiences because I cannot find a way to delete the downloaded files from my own computer to force the script to download all of the files anew.  Where are these files stored after downloading?

Based on my reading of other posts, it does not seem possible to conditionally download a subset of the audio files, e.g., only download the 11 files for Condition A if that is the condition into which the <variables> element places the subject.  Is that true?

Tags
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

Now that we are asking people to test it from their own computers, we find it does not work

Make sure you're using the latest version of the web control, 3.0.6.0. Recent browser versions (e.g. Firefox 4, Internet Explorer 9) have broken compatibility with previous versions due to drastic changes in their plugin handling behavior.

Where are these files stored after downloading?

Files will be downloaded to your temporary internet files folder.

Based on my reading of other posts, it does not seem possible to conditionally download a subset of the audio files, e.g., only download the 11 files for Condition A if that is the condition into which the <variables> element places the subject.  Is that true?

Yes.

CultureResearch
CultureResearch
Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)

Thanks for your quick reply.

When a person uses the web version of Inquist for the first time, I assume the latest version of the web control is downloaded automatically.  If so, the problem would be elsewhere.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

When a person uses the web version of Inquist for the first time, I assume the latest version of the web control is downloaded automatically

No. You specify the version of the web control to use during the script registration process. The launch page will also explicitly tell you which version it's set to. Also note that when you have a lot of files or several large files that need to be downloaded to the participant's computer, the process will take some time (especially for people on a slow or unreliable internet connection).

CultureResearch
CultureResearch

That worked!  Thanks.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search