Randomizing questionnaire orders with 2-page questionnaires

Author
satchmo496
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

All,

I'm designing a study containing a few questionnaires that, for reason of length, extend across 2 survey pages. This is posing a problem for me since I'd like to randomize the order of presentation of the questionnaires but, for obvious reasons, I need the individual pages associated with each questionnaire to remain together. Is this something that's possible to do in Inquisit? I have no problem randomizing questionnaire orders when dealing with single-page questionnaires, but I haven't been able to figure out how to keep the two pages of a specific questionnaire together while still randomizing the order of the questionnaires. Right now randomization results in problematic orders like this: Page1 of Survey 1, Page 2 of Survey2, Page1 of Survey2, Page2 of Survey 1.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

You simply need to block the pages via <block> or <survey> elements, then randomize those blocks at the <expt> level. E.g., suppose you have two questionnaires 'qa' and 'qb', each comprising two pages 'p01' and 'p02', then

<block qa>
/ trials = [1=qa_p01; 2=qa_p02]
</block>

<block qb>
/ trials = [1=qb_p01; 2=qb_p02]
</block>

<expt>
/ blocks = [1-2=noreplace(qa,qb)]
</expt>

or (for separate data files per <survey>)

<survey qa>
/ pages = [1=qa_p01; 2=qa_p02]
</survey>

<survey qb>
/ pages = [1=qb_p01; 2=qb_p02]
</survey>

<expt>
</expt>

You may even take it one step further randomize the pages withing each questionnaire in addition:

<survey qa>
/ pages = [1-2=noreplace(qa_p01,qa_p02)]
</survey>

<survey qb>
/ pages = [1-2=noreplace(qb_p01,qb_p02)]
</survey>

<expt>
</expt>

Regards,

~Dave

GO