Button in openended trial will not work when a response time constraint is used

Author
TracyM
Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi,

Here's a brief summary of my problem.  I'm trying to create a task where a word fragment appears on the screen with an openended response window.  I want them to have a limited amount of time to respond before advancing to the next trial but be able to use the next button to advance if they finish early. 

I have done this by using the /response = timeout(10000) feature.  Unfortunately, the next button no longer works in my experiment when I include this line.  Instead, the trial remains on the screen until it timesout, regardless of whether I click the button to advance.

Does the timeout feature override the button?  Or is there something I can do so that the button works but the response times out if they have not clicked the button within 10 seconds?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a small sample of my code:

<text employment_label>
/ numitems = 1
/ items = ("E_PLO_M_NT")
/ position = (50, 30)
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", -37, true)
</text>

<openended employment>
/ linelength = 40
/ mask = alphabetic
/ position = (50,50)
/ size = (150, 40)
/ mouse = true
/ buttonlabel = "Proceed to next fragment"
/ response = timeout(10000)
/ posttrialpause = 500
</openended>

<block employmentWFT
>/ bgstim = (employment_label)
/ trials = [1 = employment]
</block>

<expt>
/ blocks = [1 = noreplace(employmentWFT)]
</expt>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

Try using the /timeout attribute instead of using /response=timeout().

TracyM
TracyM
Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)Respected Member (478 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

That works!  Thank you!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search