Stroop Task balancing/ordering

Author
zzril
Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I understand that it's attempting to select a first and a last name for eight trials, though it would be difficult to know for sure since both scripts crash when I run them.

I appreciate your attempts at assisting me in learning this software through examples, but it would be much more helpful if you could identify the specific issues with my script. The monkey also crashes the program when I run it, so I don't know where it's breaking down.

Attachments
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

I understand that it's attempting to select a first and a last name for eight trials, though it would be difficult to know for sure since both scripts crash when I run them.

This suggests you are either running an outdated Inquisit version (in which case: re-download and re-install) or there is something wrong with your system in general (not sure what you would want to do in this case). I have pointed out the issues in your script in my previous replies, none of which should lead to crashing.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

Here are some errors when trying to parse the script you attached:

<trial ICtrial>
 /validresponse: 'No response' can not be specified unless the trial has a timeout.
[...]
<trial practicetrial>
 /validresponse: 'No response' can not be specified unless the trial has a timeout.
<trial XXtrial>
[...]

You have not defined any valid responses for the respective trial elements. E.g.:

<trial ICtrial>
/ ontrialbegin = [values.stimcolor=counter.cdic.selectedvalue]
/ ontrialbegin = [text.stimword.textcolor=getitem(counter.stimcolor, values.stimcolor)]
/ ontrialbegin = [values.stimword=getitem(item.colorwords, counter.cwic.selectedvalue)]
/ stimulustimes = [0=fixation;250=stimword]
</trial>

Thus Inquisit must assume you allow no response. But since the trial does not /timeout in any way, it would effectively go on forever.

zzril
zzril
Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)

Is there a way to simultaneously run

/ inputdevice = voice
/ inputdevice = voicerecord

Dave
Dave

No, there isn't.

zzril
zzril

Since the following counter specifies a noreplacenorepeat, shouldn't I get six trials of each color word and 24 trials of the XXXX word in an experiment with 48 trials?:

*****************************************************************************************************************
*****************************************************************************************************************
    Display
<counter cdic>
/ items = (2,3,4,  1,3,4,  1,2,4,  1,2,3,  2,3,4,  1,3,4,  1,2,4,  1,2,3)
/ select = noreplacenorepeat
/ selectionrate = trial
</counter>

Word
<counter cwic>
/ items = (1,1,1,  2,2,2,  3,3,3,  4,4,4,  5,5,5,  6,6,6,  7,7,7,  8,8,8)
/ select = current(cdic)
/ selectionrate = trial
</counter>

Items: Color Words
<item colorwords>
/ 1  = "BLUE"
/ 2 = "GREEN"
/ 3 = "RED"
/ 4 ="YELLOW"
/ 5 ="XXXX"
/ 6 ="XXXX"
/ 7 ="XXXX"
/ 8 ="XXXX"
</item>

Dave
Dave

'noreplacenorepeat' merely means that the respective counter will not select the same value twice in a row (if possible). I.e., not something like ... - 2 - 2 - ...

The counters contain 24 values. I.e., across 48 they'll be selected twice (once in the 1st set of 24 trials, the 2nd for the remaining set of trials 25-48).

12 items in your counter map to "XXXX". Thus, simple math reveals that, yes, the end result should be 24 trials including "XXXX". However, why don't you just try this for yourself? Generate some data and have your preferred stats or spreadsheet application count the occurences for you.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search