arrow keys in the keyboard

Author
tecnika
Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I am trying to use arrow keys as validresonse in a Mac keyboard but it looks like that are not coded among the charachters that are allowed to press in the keyboard. They use just the number pad instead of the arrows, but I would like the participant to press the key with the actual arrow.
Is there any solution for this?

Many thanks,

Elena

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
ebroggin - Thursday, November 24, 2016
Hi,

I am trying to use arrow keys as validresonse in a Mac keyboard but it looks like that are not coded among the charachters that are allowed to press in the keyboard. They use just the number pad instead of the arrows, but I would like the participant to press the key with the actual arrow.

Many thanks,

Elena

What are the scancodes you have specified as valid responses?

tecnika
tecnika
Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)Guru (14K reputation)
Dave - Thursday, November 24, 2016
Hi,

Many thanks,

Elena

75 and 77 (left and right)...but I would like the actual arrows if possible
seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)
Hi,

Many thanks,

Elena

You can determine the scan code for those keys as follows:
1) Run Inquisit Lab
2) Select "Keyboard Scancodes..." from the "Tools" menu
3) Press the arrow keys and note the numbers that appears on the Scan codes dialog

Those are the numbers you should use in your validresponse command. On my Windows computer, the left and right arrows are 203 and 205 respectively.

-Sean
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Hi,

Many thanks,

Elena

The keyboard scan codes for the arrow keys are 203 (left) and 205 (right). If you want to know a given key's scan code, open Tools -> Keyboard Scancodes... in Inquisit Lab.

tecnika
tecnika
Hi,

Many thanks,

Elena

The keyboard scan codes for the arrow keys are 203 (left) and 205 (right). If you want to know a given key's scan code, open Tools -> Keyboard Scancodes... in Inquisit Lab.

Thanks! They are actually the same than in Windows.

Elena
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search