Modification of AAT trials

Author
alexa
Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hello,

I have a question concerning the AAT. Imodified this script (Katja Borchert, APPROACH-AVOIDANCE-TASK (AAT), lastupdated: 09-04-2014) because I would like to compare approach- andavoidance-tendencies towards high and low caloric food. I listed themodifications at the end of the script.

I don’tknow if it’s possible to modify the AAT the way I would like: Instead of using4 categories (alcohol, non-alcohol, good pictures, bad pictures; 10 pictureseach; 2 times presented --> 80 stimuli), I would like to have 2 categoriesbut the same amount of trials (high vs. lowcaloric foods; 20 pictures each; 2times presented --> 80stimuli). After I have done my modifications, the raw data consisted of only 50(10 practice, 40 experimental) trials so I suppose I must have made a mistake. I put thescript (and the sequence generator) in the attachment. What do I have to change that it works the way I want?

Thank youvery much,

Alexa

Attachments
AAT_test.iqx (208 views, 52.00 KB)
AAT_SequenceGenerator.iqx (213 views, 19.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
alexa - Thursday, November 24, 2016

Hello,

I have a question concerning the AAT. Imodified this script (Katja Borchert, APPROACH-AVOIDANCE-TASK (AAT), lastupdated: 09-04-2014) because I would like to compare approach- andavoidance-tendencies towards high and low caloric food. I listed themodifications at the end of the script.

I don’tknow if it’s possible to modify the AAT the way I would like: Instead of using4 categories (alcohol, non-alcohol, good pictures, bad pictures; 10 pictureseach; 2 times presented --> 80 stimuli), I would like to have 2 categoriesbut the same amount of trials (high vs. lowcaloric foods; 20 pictures each; 2times presented --> 80stimuli). After I have done my modifications, the raw data consisted of only 50(10 practice, 40 experimental) trials so I suppose I must have made a mistake. I put thescript (and the sequence generator) in the attachment. What do I have to change that it works the way I want?

Thank youvery much,

Alexa

If you want to use the sequence generator, you also need to adjust the category counts in the <values> element inside AAT_SequenceGenerator.iqx:
If I understood your description and the changes you made in the "main" AAT script (AAT_test.iqx) correctly, you'll want to set a value of 20 for /count1 to /count4 in the sequence generation script.

Edited 8 Years Ago by Dave
alexa
alexa
Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)
Dave - Thursday, November 24, 2016

Hello,

Thank youvery much,

Alexa

If you want to use the sequence generator, you also need to adjust the category counts in the <values> element inside AAT_SequenceGenerator.iqx:
If I understood your description and the changes you made in the "main" AAT script (AAT_test.iqx) correctly, you'll want to set a value of 20 for /count1 to /count4 in the sequence generation script.

Okay, thanks for your hint! I now changed the sequence-generator script (I put it in the attachment and listed the changes in the script), but there must be an error: "expression 'values.totaltrialcount' is invalid. Do I have to change further parameters?

Thanks a lot for your help, Dave!
Alexa

Attachments
aat_sequencegenerator.iqx (214 views, 20.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
alexa - Friday, November 25, 2016

Hello,

Thank youvery much,

Alexa

Okay, thanks for your hint! I now changed the sequence-generator script (I put it in the attachment and listed the changes in the script), but there must be an error: "expression 'values.totaltrialcount' is invalid. Do I have to change further parameters?

Alexa

#1: The sequence generator script will not run in isolation. It is integrated in the "main" AAT_test.iqx script via an <include>. values.totaltrialcount resides in AAT_test.iqx. i.e., This error will go away when you run the AAT_test.script.
#2: There is an additional minor change you need to make to the sequence generator script: Remove the invalid categories (5 to 8) from <list stimcats>. You only want categories 1 to 4.

See the attached script. I've added a simple <trial> to <block SequenceGenerator> that will display the generated sequence and its length on-screen. This gives you an easy way to verify that things work as they should. Simply remove the trial from the block once you are done with testing.

Attachments
AAT_SequenceGenerator.iqx (199 views, 20.00 KB)
alexa
alexa
Dave - Friday, November 25, 2016
alexa - Friday, November 25, 2016

Hello,

Thank youvery much,

Alexa

Alexa

#1: The sequence generator script will not run in isolation. It is integrated in the "main" AAT_test.iqx script via an <include>. values.totaltrialcount resides in AAT_test.iqx. i.e., This error will go away when you run the AAT_test.script.
#2: There is an additional minor change you need to make to the sequence generator script: Remove the invalid categories (5 to 8) from <list stimcats>. You only want categories 1 to 4.

See the attached script. I've added a simple <trial> to <block SequenceGenerator> that will display the generated sequence and its length on-screen. This gives you an easy way to verify that things work as they should. Simply remove the trial from the block once you are done with testing.

Thanks a lot for your helpful advices, Dave! This works exactly the way it should!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search