Assistance with adding practice trials to Stroop and WCST tasks

Author
TheWonderingPsychStudent
New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to Inquisit and still in the process of learning this platform as I do not have any prior coding experience. I would like to add in a simple practice trial with some instructions to existing templates from the test library for the Stroop and Wisconsin Card Sort Task (WCST) tasks. 

From my basic understanding, in the Stroop task, do I insert the practice trials under the "remaining trials" section in the template. However, for the WCST, due to the various stimuli and logic, having a practice trial seems to be a bit more involved. As this is a practice trial, I not too sure if its possible to cover the entire spectrum of the WCST quickly (Color, Pattern, Number) or will it make more sense to cover just one and inform participants to figure out the rest.

Could anyone provide me the code for the tests?

I have attached the iqx files of the Stroop task and WCST for reference

Thank you very much :)
Attachments
stroopwithcontrolkeyboard.iqx (25 views, 25.00 KB)
wcst.iqx (26 views, 192.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
TheWonderingPsychStudent - 2/26/2024
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to Inquisit and still in the process of learning this platform as I do not have any prior coding experience. I would like to add in a simple practice trial with some instructions to existing templates from the test library for the Stroop and Wisconsin Card Sort Task (WCST) tasks. 

From my basic understanding, in the Stroop task, do I insert the practice trials under the "remaining trials" section in the template. However, for the WCST, due to the various stimuli and logic, having a practice trial seems to be a bit more involved. As this is a practice trial, I not too sure if its possible to cover the entire spectrum of the WCST quickly (Color, Pattern, Number) or will it make more sense to cover just one and inform participants to figure out the rest.

For the stroop, you need to add a practice <block>, have that <block> run however many trials you want, and run that <block> at the appropriate time via the <expt>.

For the WCST, just configure a shortened version in a separate script, and run that before the full WCST script.

In general, you should familiarize yourself with Inquisit's syntax and programming model first.

Read the introduction https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/introduction.htm , work through a few tutorials https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/tutorials/tutorials.htm , read the Programmer's Manual https://www.millisecond.com/support/Inquisit%20Programmer's%20Manual.pdf . While the latter assumes Inquisit 6, the contents are largely applicable to Inquisit 5 as well.

TheWonderingPsychStudent
TheWonderingPsychStudent
New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 2/26/2024
Hi everyone,

For the stroop, you need to add a practice <block>, have that <block> run however many trials you want, and run that <block> at the appropriate time via the <expt>.

For the WCST, just configure a shortened version in a separate script, and run that before the full WCST script.

In general, you should familiarize yourself with Inquisit's syntax and programming model first.

Read the introduction https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/introduction.htm , work through a few tutorials https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/tutorials/tutorials.htm , read the Programmer's Manual https://www.millisecond.com/support/Inquisit%20Programmer's%20Manual.pdf . While the latter assumes Inquisit 6, the contents are largely applicable to Inquisit 5 as well.

Hi Dave, thank you very much. I have managed to create the script. Just one question, when having a practice trial, is /recorddata=false by default or must I specify it? Currently in my output files I am unable to figure out if both the practice and expt trials are included. I have attached the script and output data for reference.

Thank you :
Attachments
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
TheWonderingPsychStudent - 3/6/2024
Dave - 2/26/2024
Hi everyone,

Hi Dave, thank you very much. I have managed to create the script. Just one question, when having a practice trial, is /recorddata=false by default or must I specify it? Currently in my output files I am unable to figure out if both the practice and expt trials are included. I have attached the script and output data for reference.

Thank you :

Data is recorded unless you specify otherwise, i.e. explicitly set /recorddata = false. Note that /recorddata only affects which trials are or are not logged to the raw data file. It has no other effects whatsoever. For example, if you are calculating summary statistics of some kind, you need to take care that data from practce trials are not included in those calculations by adjusting the calculation logic accordingly. /recorddata cannot and will not do that for you.

Look at your raw data file, and you can easily see that the trials in the practice block are logged.

Look at your script, and you can easily see that data from the practice trials is not included in the summary statistics logged to the summary data file.

These are the summary statistics.

You can easily see that the relevant lists are reset, that is emptied, at the start of the test block, so the data from the preceding practice block is not included in the various means.

Edited Last Month by Dave
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search