How would you interpret negative dprimes on the GNAT?

Author
cjlab
Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
In our current study we are using the GNAT to research implicit cognitions. Before participants start the task they're given instructions over the phone, with their study link, and at the beginning of the practice trials. Yet still, we have had many participants get negative dprimes. I was told this means, they've performed worse than chance & indicates they didn't understand the directions. Could someone ellaborate on this for me?

Currently, if a participant has a negative dprime & mentions they really didn't understand what to do, we let them have another go- which generally results in positive dprimes.

Thanks! 
Tags
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
d' (d prime) stems from signal detection theory. You'll find the basic tenets of SDT as well as the assumptions underlying d' covered in any introductory texts on SDT (I personally like "Elementary Signal Detection Theory" by Wickens). d' is generally applicable to 2-choice tasks and is a measure of *sensitivity*, i.e., the ability of the receiver (participant) to distinguish between signal and noise.

Mathematically, d' reflects the *distance* between the mean of the *signal* distribution and the mean of the *noise* distribution in terms of standard deviations. Applied to a go/no-go paradigm like the GNAT, "go"-trials are signal-trials whereas "no-go" trials are noise-trials.

The theoretical maximum of d' is +infinity, which would indicate *perfect* performance / perfect ability to distinguish between signal and noise. Again, applied to the GNAT, this would mean a participant responding *correctly* in every trial (i.e., responding in all "go"-trials, refraining from responding in all "no-go" trials).

A d' value of zero would indicate chance performance, i.e. an inability to properly distinguish between signal and noise.

The theoretical minimum of d' is -infinity, and as you correctly state, negative d' values indicate *below chance* performance due to response confusion, misunderstanding the task or other (unknown) factors. The fact that your participants achieve positive d' values after having been re-briefed lends support to the confusion / misunderstanding hypothesis. In addition note that d' is an estimator -- *small* negative values can result due to sampling error and may be indicative of a "true" d' near zero (see above).

For a more rigorous treatment of SDT measures, including the assumptions underlying d', see e.g. Stanislaw & Todorov (1999; https://www.researchgate.net/file.PostFileLoader.html?id=536ce28fd5a3f2b41b8b46c5&assetKey=AS%3A273596423835649%401442241878760 ).

cjlab
cjlab
Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks! That is very helpful, and I am bringing it to our lab meeting!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search