Time pressure

Author
elkec
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Dear,

We encountered a problem for our experiment.  What we would like to do is the following:

A respondent is given 5 min for the duration of the experiment (starting at page3 ending page6; each page consists of 20 likert items; welcome pages (1 and 2) are not included in the time limit).

Now each time when a minute passed, a message should appear on the screen e.g. “4 minutes to go”; this message can be at page3 or page4… (it can be that a respondent has answered the first page of likert items faster than a minute). When time passed at any place in the questionnaire, page7 is shown.

We have experienced many difficulties in solving this issue. We first tought of using the stimulustime conditions for this issue. But putting stimulustimes= [0=T1,T2; 60000=T3] on page3 leads us to the result that you can only go to the next page (4) when all stimulus’s has been shown.

T3= textmessage

Could someone help us with our problem?

Kind regards,

Elke

Attachments
ElkeTP.exp (846 views, 55.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Elke,

can you attach your script (zipped along with any additional files needed like pictures,etc.) to this thread (instructions here) or - in case it's too big - upload it somewhere else (free file hosting services on the net like rapidshare or megaupload)? It would be much easier to possibly find a solution with the actual script at hand.

Best,
~Dave

elkec
elkec
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)

hey,

the file has been uploaded. Hope that you can read it.

Thanks a lot in advance for helping me!

regards,

elke

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Elke,

I've looked at your script and I have some ideas for you. Because Inquisit *does not* support multiple independent control structures (i.e. block-level stimulustimes and trial-level stimulustimes running in parallel), even the fanciest <expressions> won't help here. So, we'll have to resort to some dirty trickery.

(1) To get the instruction pages completely out of the timing scheme, run them from a seperate <block instructions> element before the other likert-pages.

(2) The likert-pages should also be run from within a <block> element rather than from a <survey> element. This is because we'll need the /bgstim command for our trickery, which is only available for the <block> element.

(3) Here's the dirty part. Make a six minute long video (Windows Movie Maker will do) with the following contents and timeline:
00.00 - 01.00: Blank white screen
01.00 - 01.05: Warning: "One minute is up!"
01.05 - 02.00: Blank white screen
02.00 - 02.05: Warning: "Two minutes are up!"
[...]

(4) Include the video in your script using the <video> element and set your testblock to present the video in the background using the /bgstim attribute.

I honestly think there's no other way to do it. Feel free to comment and ask further questions if anything remained unclear.

Regards,
~Dave

Dave
Dave
I've put together a small demonstration of what I outlined above. The zipped archive containing the modified script and the video file is available here. To try it out, do the following:

(1) Extract the files to your PC.
(2) Open the exp-file with Inquisit.
(3) Start the Object Browser (F5).
(4) Run the block called "timepressure".

Hope this helps,
~Dave

elkec
elkec

Thanks Dave for your help but unfortunately we cannot open your dirty-trickery file. We also had a question concerning a whole likert page within the block-element. Because now a block element shows each time 1 statement whereas we really need to show a whole page of statements to the respondent (20 items).

I will work on the code today and try to combine it with your comments.

regards,

elke

Dave
Dave
Elke,

if you send me a private message including your e-mail address, I'll happily mail the trickery to you. Apart from that, you need not be concerned about using the <block> element: Note that Inquisit's <survey> element is just a specialized <block> element; similarly, the <surveypage> element is just a specialized <trial> element. As a consequence, you can run your <surveypage> elements from the / trials listing of a standard <block> element. It will still present all your twenty items at the same time / on the same page. You'll see when you get the demo.

Best,
~Dave

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search