using images

Author
ins6
Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
How do I insert images on Inquisit? I am trying to use a screenshot from my desktop to use instead of text. 
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
ins6 - Monday, February 13, 2017
How do I insert images on Inquisit? I am trying to use a screenshot from my desktop to use instead of text. 

You set up a <picture> element, define the image file(s) you want to display as its /items and then display the <picture> element via your <trial> elements' /stimulustimes or -frames

<picture somepicture>
/ items = ("someimagefile.jpg")
</picture>

<trial sometrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=somepicture]
</trial>

ins6
ins6
Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)
Dave - Monday, February 13, 2017

You set up a <picture> element, define the image file(s) you want to display as its /items and then display the <picture> element via your <trial> elements' /stimulustimes or -frames

<picture somepicture>
</picture>

<trial sometrial>
</trial>

This is very helpful, thank you!  I tried using these steps but the file I want to use still isn't being recognized by Inquisit. Do I have to do something differently to define the image file?
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

<picture somepicture>
</picture>

<trial sometrial>
</trial>

This is very helpful, thank you!  I tried using these steps but the file I want to use still isn't being recognized by Inquisit. Do I have to do something differently to define the image file?

The file ought to be located in the same directory / folder as the script itself (e.g. both the script and the image file would reside on your Desktop). There's also a minimal chance that there's something wrong with the file (e.g. invalid metadata), preventing Inquisit from being able to use it. In that case, you can open the file in a simple graphics program (Microsoft Paint will do), and re-save it under a different name or format. Also make sure you don't have any typo in the /items attribute (i.e. the file name is given correctly) and that the image is of a supported format (e.g. JPG or PNG, Photoshop PSDs will not work for example). If none of this helps, attach the script and image file to this thread. Put them in a ZIP archive and click +Insert -> Add File to attach the ZIP to your response here.

ins6
ins6

<picture somepicture>
</picture>

<trial sometrial>
</trial>

The file ought to be located in the same directory / folder as the script itself (e.g. both the script and the image file would reside on your Desktop). There's also a minimal chance that there's something wrong with the file (e.g. invalid metadata), preventing Inquisit from being able to use it. In that case, you can open the file in a simple graphics program (Microsoft Paint will do), and re-save it under a different name or format. Also make sure you don't have any typo in the /items attribute (i.e. the file name is given correctly) and that the image is of a supported format (e.g. JPG or PNG, Photoshop PSDs will not work for example). If none of this helps, attach the script and image file to this thread. Put them in a ZIP archive and click +Insert -> Add File to attach the ZIP to your response here.

Here is the file. As you'll see, all I need is a simple equation (1+1=?). My ultimate goal is to display equations like this on the screen, with the next screen asking what color the equation is in. I would do the same thing multiple times, the only difference being the colors. That's all I need for this whole project, but since this is my first time creating a script without instruction, I am having quite a bit of trouble. 
Attachments
equation.png (633 views, 7.00 KB)
Dave
Dave

<picture somepicture>
</picture>

<trial sometrial>
</trial>

Here is the file. As you'll see, all I need is a simple equation (1+1=?). My ultimate goal is to display equations like this on the screen, with the next screen asking what color the equation is in. I would do the same thing multiple times, the only difference being the colors. That's all I need for this whole project, but since this is my first time creating a script without instruction, I am having quite a bit of trouble. 

Okay, thanks for the additional details. The image displays fine (see attached example).

I am, however, wondering why you would want to use images for this:

"My ultimate goal is to display equations like this on the screen, with the next screen asking what color the equation is in. I would do the same thing multiple times, the only difference being the colors."

This should be much easier to do using standard <text> elements. Something like:

<defaults>
/ inputdevice = mouse
</defaults>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-8 = noreplace(black, green, blue, red)]
</block>

<trial black>
/ ontrialbegin = [text.equation.textcolor = black;]
/ stimulustimes = [1=equation; 1000=blank, question, black, green, blue, red]
/ validresponse = (black, green, blue, red)
/ correctresponse = (black)
</trial>

<trial green>
/ ontrialbegin = [text.equation.textcolor = green;]
/ correctresponse = (green)
</trial>

<trial blue>
/ ontrialbegin = [text.equation.textcolor = blue;]
/ correctresponse = (blue)
</trial>

<trial red>
/ ontrialbegin = [text.equation.textcolor = red;]
/ correctresponse = (red)
</trial>

<text equation>
/ items = equations
</text>

<item equations>
/ 1 = "1 + 1 = ?"
/ 2 = "2 + 2 = ?"
/ 3 = "3 + 3 = ?"
/ 4 = "4 + 4 = ?"
/ 5 = "5 + 5 = ?"
/ 6 = "6 + 6 = ?"
/ 7 = "7 + 7 = ?"
/ 8 = "8 + 8 = ?"
</item>

<shape blank>
/ shape = rectangle
/ color = white
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</shape>

<text question>
/ items = ("What color was the equation?")
</text>

<text black>
/ items = ("BLACK")
/ txcolor = black
/ position = (20%, 75%)
</text>

<text green>
/ items = ("GREEN")
/ txcolor = green
/ position = (40%, 75%)
</text>

<text blue>
/ items = ("BLUE")
/ txcolor = blue
/ position = (60%, 75%)
</text>

<text red>
/ items = ("RED")
/ txcolor = red
/ position = (80%, 75%)
</text>

Attachments
example.iqx (606 views, 205 bytes)
example.zip (228 views, 7.00 KB)
Edited 7 Years Ago by Dave
ins6
ins6

<picture somepicture>
</picture>

<trial sometrial>
</trial>

Okay, thanks for the additional details. The image displays fine (see attached example).

"My ultimate goal is to display equations like this on the screen, with the next screen asking what color the equation is in. I would do the same thing multiple times, the only difference being the colors."

This should be much easier to do using standard <text> elements. Something like:

<defaults>
/ inputdevice = mouse
</defaults>

<block myblock>
</block>

<trial black>
</trial>

<trial green>
</trial>

<trial blue>
</trial>

<trial red>
</trial>

<text equation>
/ items = equations
</text>

<item equations>
/ 1 = "1 + 1 = ?"
/ 2 = "2 + 2 = ?"
/ 3 = "3 + 3 = ?"
/ 4 = "4 + 4 = ?"
/ 5 = "5 + 5 = ?"
/ 6 = "6 + 6 = ?"
/ 7 = "7 + 7 = ?"
/ 8 = "8 + 8 = ?"
</item>

<shape blank>
/ shape = rectangle
/ color = white
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</shape>

<text question>
</text>

<text black>
/ items = ("BLACK")
/ txcolor = black
/ position = (20%, 75%)
</text>

<text green>
/ items = ("GREEN")
/ txcolor = green
/ position = (40%, 75%)
</text>

<text blue>
/ items = ("BLUE")
/ txcolor = blue
/ position = (60%, 75%)
</text>

<text red>
/ items = ("RED")
/ txcolor = red
/ position = (80%, 75%)
</text>

This is much easier! Thank you SO much! I really appreciate it!!!!!
ins6
ins6

<picture somepicture>
</picture>

<trial sometrial>
</trial>

<defaults>
/ inputdevice = mouse
</defaults>

<block myblock>
</block>

<trial black>
</trial>

<trial green>
</trial>

<trial blue>
</trial>

<trial red>
</trial>

<text equation>
/ items = equations
</text>

<item equations>
/ 1 = "1 + 1 = ?"
/ 2 = "2 + 2 = ?"
/ 3 = "3 + 3 = ?"
/ 4 = "4 + 4 = ?"
/ 5 = "5 + 5 = ?"
/ 6 = "6 + 6 = ?"
/ 7 = "7 + 7 = ?"
/ 8 = "8 + 8 = ?"
</item>

<shape blank>
/ shape = rectangle
/ color = white
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</shape>

<text question>
</text>

<text black>
/ items = ("BLACK")
/ txcolor = black
/ position = (20%, 75%)
</text>

<text green>
/ items = ("GREEN")
/ txcolor = green
/ position = (40%, 75%)
</text>

<text blue>
/ items = ("BLUE")
/ txcolor = blue
/ position = (60%, 75%)
</text>

<text red>
/ items = ("RED")
/ txcolor = red
/ position = (80%, 75%)
</text>

If I wanted to add an instructions page, how would I do that? All I want to say is "In this task you will be presented with arithmetic equations"
Dave
Dave
ins6 - Sunday, February 19, 2017

<picture somepicture>
</picture>

<trial sometrial>
</trial>

<defaults>
/ inputdevice = mouse
</defaults>

<block myblock>
</block>

<trial black>
</trial>

<trial green>
</trial>

<trial blue>
</trial>

<trial red>
</trial>

<text equation>
/ items = equations
</text>

<item equations>
/ 1 = "1 + 1 = ?"
/ 2 = "2 + 2 = ?"
/ 3 = "3 + 3 = ?"
/ 4 = "4 + 4 = ?"
/ 5 = "5 + 5 = ?"
/ 6 = "6 + 6 = ?"
/ 7 = "7 + 7 = ?"
/ 8 = "8 + 8 = ?"
</item>

<shape blank>
/ shape = rectangle
/ color = white
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</shape>

<text question>
</text>

<text black>
/ items = ("BLACK")
/ txcolor = black
/ position = (20%, 75%)
</text>

<text green>
/ items = ("GREEN")
/ txcolor = green
/ position = (40%, 75%)
</text>

<text blue>
/ items = ("BLUE")
/ txcolor = blue
/ position = (60%, 75%)
</text>

<text red>
/ items = ("RED")
/ txcolor = red
/ position = (80%, 75%)
</text>

If I wanted to add an instructions page, how would I do that? All I want to say is "In this task you will be presented with arithmetic equations"

Set up a <page> element with your instructions

<page intro>
^In this task you will be presented with arithmetic equations.
</page>

and display it via the <block>'s /preinstructions:

<block myblock>
/ preinstructions = (intro)
</block>
ins6
ins6
Dave - Sunday, February 19, 2017
ins6 - Sunday, February 19, 2017

<picture somepicture>
</picture>

<trial sometrial>
</trial>

<defaults>
/ inputdevice = mouse
</defaults>

<block myblock>
</block>

<trial black>
</trial>

<trial green>
</trial>

<trial blue>
</trial>

<trial red>
</trial>

<text equation>
/ items = equations
</text>

<item equations>
/ 1 = "1 + 1 = ?"
/ 2 = "2 + 2 = ?"
/ 3 = "3 + 3 = ?"
/ 4 = "4 + 4 = ?"
/ 5 = "5 + 5 = ?"
/ 6 = "6 + 6 = ?"
/ 7 = "7 + 7 = ?"
/ 8 = "8 + 8 = ?"
</item>

<shape blank>
/ shape = rectangle
/ color = white
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</shape>

<text question>
</text>

<text black>
/ items = ("BLACK")
/ txcolor = black
/ position = (20%, 75%)
</text>

<text green>
/ items = ("GREEN")
/ txcolor = green
/ position = (40%, 75%)
</text>

<text blue>
/ items = ("BLUE")
/ txcolor = blue
/ position = (60%, 75%)
</text>

<text red>
/ items = ("RED")
/ txcolor = red
/ position = (80%, 75%)
</text>

Set up a <page> element with your instructions

<page intro>
^In this task you will be presented with arithmetic equations.
</page>

and display it via the <block>'s /preinstructions:

<block myblock>
/ preinstructions = (intro)
</block>

Thank you! I am also trying to use the same practice trials and instructions from the operation span task. Is there an easy way to copy this from the operation span template on inquisit? 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search