joystick

Author
bdvbocks
Partner Member (772 reputation)Partner Member (772 reputation)Partner Member (772 reputation)Partner Member (772 reputation)Partner Member (772 reputation)Partner Member (772 reputation)Partner Member (772 reputation)Partner Member (772 reputation)Partner Member (772 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi all,

I've been working on an experiment in which participants have to respond by pushing or pulling a joystick. In order to continue to a next trial, participants have to pull the joystick completely towards themselves. However, the size of a stimulus on the screen should gradually increase while pulling the joystick, creating some sort of zoom-effect. My plan was create a block that starts out with a trial in which the size of the stimulus is average. If a participants responds by pulling the joystick to the 25-threshold, the next trial, in which the size of the stimulus is increased, automatically starts (using the "/branch" attribute). In that trial, the participant continues pulling the joystick, and upon reaching the 50-threshold, the following trial starts (again with a larger stimulus), and so on untill they reach the 75 and the 100-threshold. When participants reach the 100-threshold, a following block starts. The total reaction time can then be calculated by summing the RT's for the entire block. (Note that, technically speaking, I would use blocks as trials and trials as stimuli, if that makes sense :o) )

The question is pretty easy: Is this possible in Inquisit (2 or 3, doesn't really mather)? I've tried programming the experiment in the way I just described, but one important problem seems to be that the "/joystickthreshold" attribute has to be defined in the defaults, and can not be redefined on a trial-by-trial basis. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Bram

seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)
Group: Administrators

Hi Bram,

Alas, joystickthreshold is not a dynamic property that can be changed mid-experiment. It wouldn't be hard to add this feature, however, so I can try to sneak it into the next update. That would be a few months away, however.

Regards,
Sean

Tessa
Tessa
Associate Member (155 reputation)Associate Member (155 reputation)Associate Member (155 reputation)Associate Member (155 reputation)Associate Member (155 reputation)Associate Member (155 reputation)Associate Member (155 reputation)Associate Member (155 reputation)Associate Member (155 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi Sean,

Is there no other way to get past this problem? I really need this feature too, preferably within 2 weeks : ) Do you have suggestions to create a kind of 'zoom'-effect in Inquisit in another way?

Best,

Tessa

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Maybe this thread could be helpful (at least if you're able to consider keyboard instead of joystick input):

http://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic2111.aspx

Regards,
~Dave

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search