Stop Signal Reaction Time

Author
KathyB
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I'm using the Stop Signal Task and noticed that in the code for the stop signal reaction time (SSRT) it says: "for participants who inhibited significantly more or less than 50% of the time
the subtraction method to calculate SSRT (see expressions.SSRT) cannot be used". What can I do with these participants? Is there another way I can calculate SSRT for them? Or do I need to exclude them?

Alternatively, if I just want an overall measure of inhibitory control, am I best to just use the z-score and corresponding p value and not worry about SSRT?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Kath
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
KathyB - Monday, April 10, 2017
Hi,
I'm using the Stop Signal Task and noticed that in the code for the stop signal reaction time (SSRT) it says: "for participants who inhibited significantly more or less than 50% of the time
the subtraction method to calculate SSRT (see expressions.SSRT) cannot be used". What can I do with these participants? Is there another way I can calculate SSRT for them? Or do I need to exclude them?

Alternatively, if I just want an overall measure of inhibitory control, am I best to just use the z-score and corresponding p value and not worry about SSRT?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Kath

Verbruggen et al. reference Logan (1994) and Logan & Cowan (1984) for alternative calculation methods.

KathyB
KathyB
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Dave - Monday, April 10, 2017

Hi,

I'm using the Stop Signal Task and noticed that in the code for the stop signal reaction time (SSRT) it says: "for participants who inhibited significantly more or less than 50% of the time the subtraction method to calculate SSRT (see expressions.SSRT) cannot be used". What can I do with these participants? Is there another way I can calculate SSRT for them? Or do I need to exclude them?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Kath

Verbruggen et al. reference Logan (1994) and Logan & Cowan (1984) for alternative calculation methods.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the response. I would like to report the z-score. I have a question about the sign of the z-score generated by the program: does a negative z-score mean that the person inhibited more than 50% of the time or less than 50% of the time? My understanding is that the higher the z-score, the more responses made to stop signals (i.e. more errors). Is this correct?
Thank you,
Kath

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
KathyB - Sunday, May 7, 2017

Hi,

I'm using the Stop Signal Task and noticed that in the code for the stop signal reaction time (SSRT) it says: "for participants who inhibited significantly more or less than 50% of the time the subtraction method to calculate SSRT (see expressions.SSRT) cannot be used". What can I do with these participants? Is there another way I can calculate SSRT for them? Or do I need to exclude them?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Kath

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the response. I would like to report the z-score. I have a question about the sign of the z-score generated by the program: does a negative z-score mean that the person inhibited more than 50% of the time or less than 50% of the time? My understanding is that the higher the z-score, the more responses made to stop signals (i.e. more errors). Is this correct?
Thank you,
Kath

> does a negative z-score mean that the person inhibited more than 50% of the time or less than 50% of the time

So, the z-score is calculated like this:

z = (X -Np)/sqrt(Npq)

where

X is the observed number of signal-respond responses,
N is the total number of stop-signal trials,
p is the "target" probability (.5), i.e. 50%,
and q is 1 - p (also .5).
sqrt(Npq) is the standard deviation of the binomial distribution.

Example:
If there were 64 stop trials and 28 of them were signal-respond responses (i.e. failed inhibitions), the z score would be

z = (28 - (64*0.5)) / sqrt(64*0.5*0.5) = (28 - 32) / sqrt(16) = -4 / 4 = -1

i.e., negative.

The parallel case, if there were 64 stop trials and 36 of them were signal-respond responses, the z score would be

z = (36 - (64*0.5)) / sqrt(64*0.5*0.5) = (36 - 32) / sqrt(16) = 4 / 4 = 1

i.e. positive.

Hope this clarifies.
KathyB
KathyB
Dave - Monday, May 8, 2017
KathyB - Sunday, May 7, 2017

Hi,

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Kath

Hi Dave,
Thank you,
Kath

> does a negative z-score mean that the person inhibited more than 50% of the time or less than 50% of the time

So, the z-score is calculated like this:

z = (X -Np)/sqrt(Npq)

where

X is the observed number of signal-respond responses,
N is the total number of stop-signal trials,
p is the "target" probability (.5), i.e. 50%,
and q is 1 - p (also .5).
sqrt(Npq) is the standard deviation of the binomial distribution.

Example:
If there were 64 stop trials and 28 of them were signal-respond responses (i.e. failed inhibitions), the z score would be

z = (28 - (64*0.5)) / sqrt(64*0.5*0.5) = (28 - 32) / sqrt(16) = -4 / 4 = -1

i.e., negative.

The parallel case, if there were 64 stop trials and 36 of them were signal-respond responses, the z score would be

z = (36 - (64*0.5)) / sqrt(64*0.5*0.5) = (36 - 32) / sqrt(16) = 4 / 4 = 1

i.e. positive.

Hope this clarifies.

Very helpful, thank you.
Kath
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore