Skipping questions depending on the combination of two previous responses

Author
ianrt
Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am just about to put up a script that has three attention check questions in it at various points on MTurk.  Participants are told if they get two of these three questions incorrect they will not be eligible for payment (which is consistent with the MTurk policy).  What I want to do is skip survey pages once they get two of these questions incorrect.  My understanding of the skip attribute is that it is an OR statement - if one question is incorrect OR the other is incorrect then skip the page.  What I need is an AND version of this ... so following responses to two 2 of the 3 questions, if responses to both questions (i.e., check1  & check2) are  incorrect, the remaining survey pages are skipped and they are sent to a page which says, not quite as harshly as this, "you've failed the conditions of paying attention to the questions and you won't be paid".  Then once the 3rd attention check question is presented what I need to do is skip the remaining pages if 2 of the 3 responses are incorrect.   So what I need is "If check1 is incorrect (optionvalue= 0) and/or check2 is incorrect and/or check3 is incorrect" OR "if check1 is correct and check2 AND chech3 are incorrect", then skip to the non-payment page. I know this is possible in Qualtrics but I can't figure out how to do this with Inquisit. Is this possible?
Jenny
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
ianrt - Wednesday, May 10, 2017
I am just about to put up a script that has three attention check questions in it at various points on MTurk.  Participants are told if they get two of these three questions incorrect they will not be eligible for payment (which is consistent with the MTurk policy).  What I want to do is skip survey pages once they get two of these questions incorrect.  My understanding of the skip attribute is that it is an OR statement - if one question is incorrect OR the other is incorrect then skip the page.  What I need is an AND version of this ... so following responses to two 2 of the 3 questions, if responses to both questions (i.e., check1  & check2) are  incorrect, the remaining survey pages are skipped and they are sent to a page which says, not quite as harshly as this, "you've failed the conditions of paying attention to the questions and you won't be paid".  Then once the 3rd attention check question is presented what I need to do is skip the remaining pages if 2 of the 3 responses are incorrect.   So what I need is "If check1 is incorrect (optionvalue= 0) and/or check2 is incorrect and/or check3 is incorrect" OR "if check1 is correct and check2 AND chech3 are incorrect", then skip to the non-payment page. I know this is possible in Qualtrics but I can't figure out how to do this with Inquisit. Is this possible?
Jenny

Yes, this is possible.

Count the number of failed checks in a global variable (a <values> entry) and then /skip if the value is >= 2. That would be the easiest / most straightforward option (in my opinion). You can also formulate your /skip like this

/ skip = [(radiobuttons.check1.response==0 && radiobuttons.check2.response==0) || (radiobuttons.check1.response==0 && radiobuttons.check3.response==0) || (radiobuttons.check2.response==0 && radiobuttons.check3.response==0)]

but that seems a bit tedious (and would become ever more tedious with an increasing number of checks).

Edited 7 Years Ago by Dave
ianrt
ianrt
Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Wednesday, May 10, 2017
ianrt - Wednesday, May 10, 2017
Jenny

Yes, this is possible.

Count the number of failed checks in a global variable (a <values> entry) and then /skip if the value is >= 2. That would be the easiest / most straightforward option (in my opinion). You can also formulate your /skip like this

/ skip = [(radiobuttons.check1.response==0 && radiobuttons.check2.response==0) || (radiobuttons.check1.response==0 && radiobuttons.check3.response==0) || (radiobuttons.check2.response==0 && radiobuttons.check3.response==0)]

but that seems a bit tedious (and would become ever more tedious with an increasing number of checks).

Thanks (as always) Dave!
Best
Jenny
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search