Snell Roundhand font not working

Author
ash8787
Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am trying to create text stimuli in Snell Roundhand font, but it is not showing as this. 

<text quininescript>
/ fontstyle = ("Snell Roundhand", 14pt)
/items = ("quinine")
/ position = (50%, 50%)
</text>

Does anyone have insight as to why this is not working? Thanks.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
ash8787 - Thursday, May 11, 2017
I am trying to create text stimuli in Snell Roundhand font, but it is not showing as this. 

<text quininescript>
/items = ("quinine")
/ position = (50%, 50%)
</text>

In general, Inquisit can only use fonts that are available on the system. I don't have "Snell Roundhand" on mine, but I do have "SnellRoundhand Script". Using that

<text mytext>
/ items = ("The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.")
/ fontstyle = ("SnellRoundhand Script", 5%, false, true, false, false, 5, 1)
</text>

yields the expected result:

Note: If you are planning to ultimately run this one the web, choose common fonts that are certain to exist on the target systems. If a given font is not available, Inquisit will have to substitute it (with Arial), i.e. things will not look as intended.

ash8787
ash8787
Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)
Dave - Thursday, May 11, 2017

<text quininescript>
/items = ("quinine")
/ position = (50%, 50%)
</text>

In general, Inquisit can only use fonts that are available on the system. I don't have "Snell Roundhand" on mine, but I do have "SnellRoundhand Script". Using that

<text mytext>
</text>

Note: If you are planning to ultimately run this one the web, choose common fonts that are certain to exist on the target systems. If a given font is not available, Inquisit will have to substitute it (with Arial), i.e. things will not look as intended.

Thank you for your help, I did get it to work (but I do have Snell Roundhand, not Snell Roundhand script- interesting). Two questions- is the 5% height a 14 pt font? Also, I do plan to run this on the web, are there ways for me to test whether or not it will work? I plan to administer using MTurk. 
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
ash8787 - Friday, May 12, 2017

<text quininescript>
/items = ("quinine")
/ position = (50%, 50%)
</text>

<text mytext>
</text>

Thank you for your help, I did get it to work (but I do have Snell Roundhand, not Snell Roundhand script- interesting). Two questions- is the 5% height a 14 pt font? Also, I do plan to run this on the web, are there ways for me to test whether or not it will work? I plan to administer using MTurk. 

> Two questions- is the 5% height a 14 pt font?

No, 5% is not 14 pt. If you want 14 pt, specify that instead.

<text mytext>
/ fontstyle = ("SnellRoundhand Script", 14pt)
</text>

> Also, I do plan to run this on the web, are there ways for me to test whether or not it will work?

There is no way to test this or to guarantee that an uncommon / exotic font is present on a participant's system (which you do not have any control over). Either avoid uncommon fonts / pick only common ones or refrain from displaying <text> stimuli. Instead create images displaying the desired strings in the desired font on your system and use those images as stimuli, i.e. as items of <picture> elements.

ash8787
ash8787
Dave - Friday, May 12, 2017

<text quininescript>
/items = ("quinine")
/ position = (50%, 50%)
</text>

<text mytext>
</text>

<text mytext>
</text>

> Also, I do plan to run this on the web, are there ways for me to test whether or not it will work?

There is no way to test this or to guarantee that an uncommon / exotic font is present on a participant's system (which you do not have any control over). Either avoid uncommon fonts / pick only common ones or refrain from displaying <text> stimuli. Instead create images displaying the desired strings in the desired font on your system and use those images as stimuli, i.e. as items of <picture> elements.

Ok, bummer, but thank you! This is helpful. 
ash8787
ash8787
ash8787 - Saturday, May 20, 2017
. I am trying to create text stimuli in Snell Roundhand font, but it is not showing as this. 

<text quininescript>
/items = ("quinine")
/ position = (50%, 50%)
</text>

<text mytext>
</text>

<text mytext>
</text>

One more question: I am trying to use Sketch images in my script and I cannot find a way to make this work. Once I save the images, I cannot get Inquisit to read the Sketch file, even if I save it as a jpg. I have attached a sample of my script that I use to test out the code. If I cannot use Sketch, what software is recommended for this? I need to use something more sophisticated than Paintbrush so that I can have control over where I position my text image, so that every image is presented in the same location in the experiment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments
test 52017.iqx (290 views, 3.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
ash8787 - Monday, June 5, 2017
. I am trying to create text stimuli in Snell Roundhand font, but it is not showing as this. 

<text quininescript>
/items = ("quinine")
/ position = (50%, 50%)
</text>

<text mytext>
</text>

<text mytext>
</text>

One more question: I am trying to use Sketch images in my script and I cannot find a way to make this work. Once I save the images, I cannot get Inquisit to read the Sketch file, even if I save it as a jpg. I have attached a sample of my script that I use to test out the code. If I cannot use Sketch, what software is recommended for this? I need to use something more sophisticated than Paintbrush so that I can have control over where I position my text image, so that every image is presented in the same location in the experiment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JPGs will work just fine. Make sure the JPGs are saved as RGB, not in CMYK (or any other) colorspace.

ash8787
ash8787
Dave - Monday, June 5, 2017

<text quininescript>
/items = ("quinine")
/ position = (50%, 50%)
</text>

<text mytext>
</text>

<text mytext>
</text>

JPGs will work just fine. Make sure the JPGs are saved as RGB, not in CMYK (or any other) colorspace.

Ok, is any software you recommend that will allow me to specify a location of the item in the document? The only one I knew to use was Sketch and it apparently won't work with Inquisit.

Dave
Dave

<text quininescript>
/items = ("quinine")
/ position = (50%, 50%)
</text>

<text mytext>
</text>

<text mytext>
</text>

Ok, is any software you recommend that will allow me to specify a location of the item in the document? The only one I knew to use was Sketch and it apparently won't work with Inquisit.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Sketch. Any simple image editor should work, including - I assume -- Sketch. Alternatively, any presentation program (think: PowerPoint, Open Office Impress) that allows export of presentation slides to images. Beyond that I really can't tell you what's wrong with the JPG generated by Sketch without you sharing at least one such JPG file.

Edited 7 Years Ago by Dave
ash8787
ash8787

<text quininescript>
/items = ("quinine")
/ position = (50%, 50%)
</text>

<text mytext>
</text>

<text mytext>
</text>

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Sketch. Any simply image editor should work, including - I assume -- Sketch. Alternatively, any presentation program (think: PowerPoint, Open Office Impress) that allows export of presentation slides to images. Beyond that I really can't tell you what's wrong with the JPG generated by Sketch without you sharing at least one such JPG file.

Ok, I am going to try another program and will let you know if I run into further problems. Thank you so much!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search