Presenting just one randomly picked item out of a pool of items

Author
Clara
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hey there!

I have several pictures of 5 different categories, each category containing 7 pictures. I struggle to find any way to let the program just pick one picture out of the seven pictures randomly. So that every participant is presented with just one randomly chosen picture out of the category. I know how to show them all randomly or in a row, but I am not able to figure out how I can restrict this to just one item. 

If anyone has any idea, I would appreciate this a lot! 

<item As_forced>
/1 = "As -3"
/2 = "As -2"
/3 = "As -1"
/4 = "As 0"
/5 = "As +1"
/6 = "As +2"
/7 = "As +3"
</item>

So here is one example of the category "As_forced". I want that every participant just is presented with one item out of the seven items. 

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers, Clara

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Clara - Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Hey there!

I have several pictures of 5 different categories, each category containing 7 pictures. I struggle to find any way to let the program just pick one picture out of the seven pictures randomly. So that every participant is presented with just one randomly chosen picture out of the category. I know how to show them all randomly or in a row, but I am not able to figure out how I can restrict this to just one item. 

<item As_forced>
/1 = "As -3"
/2 = "As -2"
/3 = "As -1"
/4 = "As 0"
/5 = "As +1"
/6 = "As +2"
/7 = "As +3"
</item>

So here is one example of the category "As_forced". I want that every participant just is presented with one item out of the seven items. 

Cheers, Clara

<picture example>
/ items = As_forced
/ select = noreplace
/ selectionrate = experiment
</picture>

The /selectionrate attribute determines how often a selection is performed. If you want to only select one random item and keep that across the entire experiment, /selectionrate = experiment should be what you want. If you need more flexibility, you can use <values> as in

<values>
/ as_forced_itemnumber = 1
</values>

<picture example>
/ items = As_forced
/ select = values.as_forced_itemnumber
</picture>

with

<list as_forced_itemnumbers>
/ items = (1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
</list>

and then select one of those item numbers as needed, e.g. /onexptbegin

<expt>
/ onexptbegin = [values.as_forced_itemnumber = list.as_forced_itemnumbers.nextvalue; ]
</expt>

Clara
Clara
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Dave - Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Clara - Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Hey there!

<item As_forced>
/1 = "As -3"
/2 = "As -2"
/3 = "As -1"
/4 = "As 0"
/5 = "As +1"
/6 = "As +2"
/7 = "As +3"
</item>

Cheers, Clara

<picture example>
/ items = As_forced
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

The /selectionrate attribute determines how often a selection is performed. If you want to only select one random item and keep that across the entire experiment, /selectionrate = experiment should be what you want. If you need more flexibility, you can use <values> as in

<values>
/ as_forced_itemnumber = 1
</values>

<picture example>
/ items = As_forced
/ select = values.as_forced_itemnumber
</picture>

with

<list as_forced_itemnumbers>
/ items = (1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
</list>

and then select one of those item numbers as needed, e.g. /onexptbegin

<expt>
/ onexptbegin = [values.as_forced_itemnumber = list.as_forced_itemnumbers.nextvalue; ]
</expt>

Thank you so much! :) I will try it out immediately!
Clara
Clara
It's working fine! :) Thank you!

Just got a further question in this context. Is there any possibility to show this at the beginning shown item again during the experiment? Since it is randomly chosen I'm not sure how to let inquisit show the same randomly chosen picture (item) again. Any advice is highly appreciated! 

Cheers, 
Clara 

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Clara - Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Just got a further question in this context. Is there any possibility to show this at the beginning shown item again during the experiment? Since it is randomly chosen I'm not sure how to let inquisit show the same randomly chosen picture (item) again. Any advice is highly appreciated! 

Cheers, 
Clara 

If only one selection is performed for the the given <picture> element, you can simply display that <picture> element again at any time -- no new selection will be performed and thus it will display the exact same item.

Clara
Clara
Dave - Wednesday, May 24, 2017
Clara - Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Cheers, 
Clara 

If only one selection is performed for the the given <picture> element, you can simply display that <picture> element again at any time -- no new selection will be performed and thus it will display the exact same item.

Thank you very much, it worked! 
Clara
Clara
I hope I'm not annoying with this topic. However, now I got a really tricky issue to solve. Actually, the pictures which a randomly chosen display how participants shall perform on the following task e.g. "Show a moderat preference for Turks compared to Germans." Then they do the IAT. How can I tell Inquisit, that the picture means a "moderate preference for Turks compared to Germans" and let it then check whether participants were able to produce this moderate preference? I know there is a feedback function, which tells exactly what the results of the IAT are. However, since the picture, how the participants shall perform is randomly chosen at the beginning, I can't check whether they actually performed well or poorly... If you do not really understand what I'm describing here, please let me know. 

Thank you a lot for your help. Without it I would have probably get stuck already in the beginning.

Dave
Dave
Clara - Tuesday, May 30, 2017
I hope I'm not annoying with this topic. However, now I got a really tricky issue to solve. Actually, the pictures which a randomly chosen display how participants shall perform on the following task e.g. "Show a moderat preference for Turks compared to Germans." Then they do the IAT. How can I tell Inquisit, that the picture means a "moderate preference for Turks compared to Germans" and let it then check whether participants were able to produce this moderate preference? I know there is a feedback function, which tells exactly what the results of the IAT are. However, since the picture, how the participants shall perform is randomly chosen at the beginning, I can't check whether they actually performed well or poorly... If you do not really understand what I'm describing here, please let me know. 

Thank you a lot for your help. Without it I would have probably get stuck already in the beginning.

> How can I tell Inquisit, that the picture means a "moderate preference for Turks compared to Germans" and let it then check whether participants were able to produce this
> moderate preference?

You need to encode what performance-level each picture item represents somewhere (e.g. in a <list> paired to the <picture> element; cf. the "How to present stimulus pairs" topic in the documentation.)

You then need to retrieve that information and check it against the existing feedback and/or the achieved expressions.d.

Clara
Clara
Dave - Tuesday, May 30, 2017

> How can I tell Inquisit, that the picture means a "moderate preference for Turks compared to Germans" and let it then check whether participants were able to produce this
> moderate preference?

You need to encode what performance-level each picture item represents somewhere (e.g. in a <list> paired to the <picture> element; cf. the "How to present stimulus pairs" topic in the documentation.)

You then need to retrieve that information and check it against the existing feedback and/or the achieved expressions.d.

Thanks!! I managed the first part. However, I do not now how to retrieve that information and check it against the achieved expressions.d. 

This is my trail summary: 

<trial summary>
/ stimulustimes = [0=summary]
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
/ ontrialbegin = [values.magnitude = "geringe bis gar keine"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) > 0.15 ) values.magnitude = "leichte"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) > 0.35 ) values.magnitude = "moderate"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) >= 0.65 ) values.magnitude = "starke"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d >= 0.0) expressions.preferred = item.ingroupLabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d < 0.0) expressions.preferred = item.outgroupLabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d < 0.0) expressions.notpreferred= item.ingroupLabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d >= 0.0) expressions.notpreferred= item.outgroupLabel.1]
</trial>

and my paring: 

<picture forced>
/ items = ("As_-3.jpeg", "As_-2.jpeg")
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

<text forced_matched>
/ items = ("-3", "-2")
/ select = picture.forced.currentindex
</text>

<trial forced>
/stimulusframes = [1 = forced]
/validresponse = (" ")
/posttrialpause = 250
</trial>

<trial matching>
/ stimulustimes = [0 = forced; 100 = forced_matched]
/ validresponse = ("8")
</trial>

Now, Inquisit is showing the picture, which tells the participants which IAT level they need to achieve, at the beginning and at the end of the IAT it is showing the picture again and its corresponding meaning e.g. "-3" which is a strong negative preference. However, how can I tell Inquisit that this "-3" is the same as these both expressions form the summary trial:  

"/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) >= 0.65 ) values.magnitude = "starke"]"
and
"/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d < 0.0) expressions.preferred = item.outgroupLabel.1]"?

Hope you understand, what I mean. 

Thank you a lot for all your replies! 

Dave
Dave
Clara - Thursday, June 1, 2017
Dave - Tuesday, May 30, 2017

> moderate preference?

Thanks!! I managed the first part. However, I do not now how to retrieve that information and check it against the achieved expressions.d. 

This is my trail summary: 

<trial summary>
/ stimulustimes = [0=summary]
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
/ ontrialbegin = [values.magnitude = "geringe bis gar keine"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) > 0.15 ) values.magnitude = "leichte"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) > 0.35 ) values.magnitude = "moderate"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) >= 0.65 ) values.magnitude = "starke"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d >= 0.0) expressions.preferred = item.ingroupLabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d < 0.0) expressions.preferred = item.outgroupLabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d < 0.0) expressions.notpreferred= item.ingroupLabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d >= 0.0) expressions.notpreferred= item.outgroupLabel.1]
</trial>

and my paring: 

<picture forced>
/ items = ("As_-3.jpeg", "As_-2.jpeg")
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

<text forced_matched>
/ items = ("-3", "-2")
/ select = picture.forced.currentindex
</text>

<trial forced>
/stimulusframes = [1 = forced]
/validresponse = (" ")
/posttrialpause = 250
</trial>

<trial matching>
/ stimulustimes = [0 = forced; 100 = forced_matched]
/ validresponse = ("8")
</trial>

Now, Inquisit is showing the picture, which tells the participants which IAT level they need to achieve, at the beginning and at the end of the IAT it is showing the picture again and its corresponding meaning e.g. "-3" which is a strong negative preference. However, how can I tell Inquisit that this "-3" is the same as these both expressions form the summary trial:  

"/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) >= 0.65 ) values.magnitude = "starke"]"
and
"/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d < 0.0) expressions.preferred = item.outgroupLabel.1]"?

Hope you understand, what I mean. 

Thank you a lot for all your replies! 

You're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Pair your picture with values *directly* corresponding to the D-score cutoffs. I.e. a "strong negative preference" means something <= -0.65. I.e. your image item "As_-3.jpeg" should be paired with the value -0.65. Then compare that value directly against expressions.d (and so forth for the other image items and cutoffs). And don't use a <text> element paired to your <picture> -- use a <list>.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search