Likert ratings of pictures

Author
Sushi
Respected Member (326 reputation)Respected Member (326 reputation)Respected Member (326 reputation)Respected Member (326 reputation)Respected Member (326 reputation)Respected Member (326 reputation)Respected Member (326 reputation)Respected Member (326 reputation)Respected Member (326 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear Inquisit users,

For my final year dissertation, I'm looking into the the effects of sexualization of girls on people's perceptions of their competence.

As part of this task, I need to conduct a questionnaire which involves displaying pictures of four girls. For each picture, I need ratings of:

- 8 competence-related words
- How likely people think the girl in the picture will get a First for her exams (I'm from a UK university, this means over 70%)
- What percentile of her class people think the girl will achieve in her exams, hopefully using a slider scale

I have managed to change sample scripts to use for other parts of my experiment, but am completely at a loss into how to get ratings of pictures. Moreover, I'm completely new to Inquisit, so have no quite handled how to create a whole survey - I have only adapted scripts so far.

If anyone has a script which is vaguely similar to what I described above, I would be most appreciative if you can post it.

Thank you in advance!

Susan

IvoR
IvoR
Guru (6.7K reputation)Guru (6.7K reputation)Guru (6.7K reputation)Guru (6.7K reputation)Guru (6.7K reputation)Guru (6.7K reputation)Guru (6.7K reputation)Guru (6.7K reputation)Guru (6.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hey Sushi,

Are you using Inquisit 2.0 or Inquisit 3.0? If it's the latter, it would be much appreciated if you could post in the Inquisit 3.0 subforum (and you would probably have gotten a reply sooner =)).

For your problem:
The 8 competence words are probably best done with a likert-element. You can present pictures with these elements (as you would normally do in a trial > just present the pictures you want in /stimulustimes = ... or /stimulusframes = ...). You would have to put two stimuli in one of these: one picture stimuli (a girl) and one text stimuli (a competence-related word).

For the other two measures, a slider would be a good option. This one is a bit more work, since you can't integrate the slider with a picture-stimuli. To do this, you have to make a slider-element, put it in the /stimulustimes or /stimulusframes in a trial-element. Next to the slider, put a presentation of a stimulus. It would look something like this:
<trial girl1>
/stimulustimes = [0 = slider, girl1_picture]

Do this four times, put it in a block in any order you want (maybe you want to make it different for every participant. To do that, look it up in the help function in Inquisit (F1)).

I hope this makes things a little clearer.

Good luck with your experiment (and dissertation)!

Ivor

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search