automatically deleting participant data file upload

Author
eljones96
New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am planning to run an experiment in which I ask participants to upload a photo of themselves (that they believe other participants will be evaluating) but due to HIPAA I do not actually want to save the photo upload. Is there a way to automatically delete/not save participant data file uploads (but save the rest of the data from the task)?

Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
eljones96 - 2/24/2021
I am planning to run an experiment in which I ask participants to upload a photo of themselves (that they believe other participants will be evaluating) but due to HIPAA I do not actually want to save the photo upload. Is there a way to automatically delete/not save participant data file uploads (but save the rest of the data from the task)?

Thanks!

Inquisit does not provide the capability to have participants "upload" an image. It does have the capability to take a snapshot with a device's built-in camera per /photocapture, but that does not appear to be what you're referring to. (Further, Inquisit would have no ability to actually display the image captured from the camera.)

Could you please clarify your question?
eljones96
eljones96
New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)
Dave - 2/24/2021
eljones96 - 2/24/2021

Thanks!

Inquisit does not provide the capability to have participants "upload" an image. It does have the capability to take a snapshot with a device's built-in camera per /photocapture, but that does not appear to be what you're referring to. (Further, Inquisit would have no ability to actually display the image captured from the camera.)

Thanks for your quick reply! Taking a snapshot with a device's built-in camera should work since I would not need Inquisit to display the snapshot.

What does Inquisit do with the snapshot? Would it be possible for Inquisit to take a snapshot but not actually save it as part of the ultimate data file?

Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
eljones96 - 2/24/2021
Dave - 2/24/2021
eljones96 - 2/24/2021

Thanks!

Thanks for your quick reply! Taking a snapshot with a device's built-in camera should work since I would not need Inquisit to display the snapshot.

What does Inquisit do with the snapshot? Would it be possible for Inquisit to take a snapshot but not actually save it as part of the ultimate data file?

Thanks!

> What does Inquisit do with the snapshot?

Snapshots taken will be saved in a separate folder and uploaded along with any other data. https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v6/html/language/attributes/photocapture.htm

I see no way of preventing that.

A better option may be to "fake" an image upload via some HTML instead of using /photocapture, in which case whatever image the participant selects would never actually leave the participant's device.

Dave
Dave
Dave - 2/24/2021
eljones96 - 2/24/2021
Dave - 2/24/2021
eljones96 - 2/24/2021

Thanks!

Thanks!

Snapshots taken will be saved in a separate folder and uploaded along with any other data. https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v6/html/language/attributes/photocapture.htm

A better option may be to "fake" an image upload via some HTML instead of using /photocapture, in which case whatever image the participant selects would never actually leave the participant's device.

Attached is a very quick sketch of the "fake upload" option. I haven't tested this on all possible operating systems and devices, but something like this should theoretically work.

Attachments
fake_upload.zip (145 views, 8.00 KB)
eljones96
eljones96
Dave - 2/24/2021
Dave - 2/24/2021
eljones96 - 2/24/2021
Dave - 2/24/2021
eljones96 - 2/24/2021

Thanks!

Thanks!

Attached is a very quick sketch of the "fake upload" option. I haven't tested this on all possible operating systems and devices, but something like this should theoretically work.

Thank you so much for your help - I really appreciate it
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search