time-sharing

Author
luis
Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear all,
I am using INQUISIT mostly to run verbal Stroop tasks with SPEECH RECOGNITION, and I have experienced certain troubles with the Speech Recognition Engine. I turned to the VOICE RECORD, and I think that this provides a more reliable way of registering responses, while still providing an efficient way to analyze them. However, I have noticed that the scheduled trial timing varies from trial to trial, as if the program was stopping to access the disk and record the responses. The response-to-stimulus interval is important for my research, and thus I would like to know if there could a way to optimize time-sharing, for instance by forcing the system to access the disk during non-active intervals (e.g., during the presentation of the fixation point). I know this is a rather technical question, and I would like to think that this is only my impression and that the problem does not exist, but I need to know if the problem is real and if there could be a solution to it.
Thank you very much for your support,
Luis
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
luis - 3/8/2024
Dear all,
I am using INQUISIT mostly to run verbal Stroop tasks with SPEECH RECOGNITION, and I have experienced certain troubles with the Speech Recognition Engine. I turned to the VOICE RECORD, and I think that this provides a more reliable way of registering responses, while still providing an efficient way to analyze them. However, I have noticed that the scheduled trial timing varies from trial to trial, as if the program was stopping to access the disk and record the responses. The response-to-stimulus interval is important for my research, and thus I would like to know if there could a way to optimize time-sharing, for instance by forcing the system to access the disk during non-active intervals (e.g., during the presentation of the fixation point). I know this is a rather technical question, and I would like to think that this is only my impression and that the problem does not exist, but I need to know if the problem is real and if there could be a solution to it.
Thank you very much for your support,
Luis

Disk access is always costly and will of course affect timing. To reduce variance, set a sufficiently long /posttrialpause in your trials.

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/howto/howtocontroltiming.htm
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search