Image Read Error: Unsupported image format

Author
katiedow
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi!

I'm currently working on editing an existing script that we have to include new images for stimuli presentation. All of these image files (342 in total) are JPEG images, however when I go to run the script, about 35 of them are throwing error messages saying "Image Read Error: Unsupported image format."

I'm a little lost as to what this problem could be, especially since the rest of the images are being read just fine. I'm relatively new to coding on Inquisit and am mostly just trying to make small changes to an existing script my lab had, so any input here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
katiedow - 3/12/2024
Hi!

I'm currently working on editing an existing script that we have to include new images for stimuli presentation. All of these image files (342 in total) are JPEG images, however when I go to run the script, about 35 of them are throwing error messages saying "Image Read Error: Unsupported image format."

I'm a little lost as to what this problem could be, especially since the rest of the images are being read just fine. I'm relatively new to coding on Inquisit and am mostly just trying to make small changes to an existing script my lab had, so any input here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The error means what it says: There is something wrong with those particular images. JPEG is not JPEG. JPEGs can be encoded in a myriad different ways, there are different specs and encoding options, and operating systems will differ on which of those they do or do not support. Invalid or non-standard metadate fields can also result in unsupported format errors.

Your best bet is to use a bulk image converter (e.g. IrfanView, ImageMagick) to re-encode all your JPEGs to a single, uniform format.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search