Return to the Framing Effect page
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________	

										FRAMING HEURISTIC
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________	

Script Author: Sean Draine, Ph.D. (seandr@millisecond.com)
last updated:  11-04-2019 by K. Borchert (katjab@millisecond.com) for Millisecond Software, LLC

Script Copyright © 11-04-2019 Millisecond Software

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
BACKGROUND INFO 	
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________	
This script implements a procedure to study the Framing Heuristic; a cognitive bias in decision making that 
results from the semantics ('framing') of the given choices.

Reference:

Tversky, A. & Kahneman, D. (1981). "The framing of decisions and the psychology of choice". 
Science 211 (4481): 453-458.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
TASK DESCRIPTION	
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________	
Participants are presented scenarios such as "A) 10% chance of $90" or "B) 90% chance of $10"
and are asked to select the option that they prefer.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________	
DURATION 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________	
the default set-up of the script takes appr. 3 minutes to complete

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________	
DATA FILE INFORMATION 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________	
The default data stored in the data files are:

(1) Raw data file: 'framing_raw*.iqdat' (a separate file for each participant)

build:								The specific Inquisit version used (the 'build') that was run
computer.platform:				the platform the script was run on (win/mac/ios/android)
date, time, 						date and time script was run 
subject, group, 					with the current subject/groupnumber
script.sessionid:					with the current session id

blockcode, blocknum:			the name and number of the current block (built-in Inquisit variable)
trialcode, trialnum: 				the name and number of the currently recorded trial (built-in Inquisit variable)
										Note: trialnum is a built-in Inquisit variable; it counts all trials run; even those
										that do not store data to the data file such as feedback trials. Thus, trialnum 
										may not reflect the number of main trials run per block. 
										
stimulusitem.1:					the presented question
response:							the participant's response
values.responseCategory:		selected response category: "high odds/low pay-off" vs. "low odds/high pay-off"
latency: 							the response latency (in ms); measured from: onset of question
values.count_higherOddsLowerPayOff:	tracks the number of "higherOdds/lower pay-off" choices

values.oddsa:						stores the probabilities for choice A
values.payoffa:					store the amount of money that could be won for choice A
values.oddsb:						stores the probabilities for choice B (probability of B = 1-probability of A)
values.payoffb:					store the amount of money that could be won for choice B

values.selectedoption:			stores the current choice of the participant (A or B)
values.outcome:					stores the actual win amount for the current trial
values.earnings:					stores the total amount of money earned across trials


(2) Summary data file: 'framing_summary*.iqdat' (a separate file for each participant)

computer.platform:				the platform the script was run on (win/mac/ios/android)
script.startdate:					date script was run
script.starttime:					time script was started
script.subjectid:					assigned subject id number
script.groupid:					assigned group id number
script.sessionid:					assigned session id number
script.elapsedtime:				time it took to run script (in ms); measured from onset to offset of script
script.completed:				0 = script was not completed (prematurely aborted); 
									1 = script was completed (all conditions run)

values.earnings:											stores the total amount of money earned across trials
expressions.prop_highOdds_lowPayOff_choices:		the proportion of "lower odds/higher pay-off" choices

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________	
EXPERIMENTAL SET-UP 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________	

- 8 different payoff scenarios: 
	8 odds for A (10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%); 8 odds for B (90%, 80%, 70%, 60%, 40%, 30%, 20%, 10%)
	coupled with reversed payoffs: e.g. 10% A, payoff: 90
- 3 repetitions of each scenario
(one for practice)
- order is randomly determined

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________	
EDITABLE CODE 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________	
check below for (relatively) easily editable parameters, stimuli, instructions etc. 
Keep in mind that you can use this script as a template and therefore always "mess" with the entire code 
to further customize your experiment.