___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ FRAMING HEURISTIC (in German) ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Script Author: Sean Draine, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org) last updated: 02-22-2022 by K. Borchert (email@example.com) for Millisecond Software, LLC Script Copyright © 02-22-2022 Millisecond Software German translation by K. Borchert for Millisecond Software ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ BACKGROUND INFO ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ This script implements a procedure to study the Framing Heuristic; a cognitive bias in decision making that results from the semantics ('framing') of the given choices. Reference: Tversky, A. & Kahneman, D. (1981). "The framing of decisions and the psychology of choice". Science 211 (4481): 453-458. ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ TASK DESCRIPTION ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Participants are presented scenarios such as "A) 10% chance of $90" or "B) 90% chance of $10" and are asked to select the option that they prefer. ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ DURATION ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ the default set-up of the script takes appr. 3 minutes to complete ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ DATA FILE INFORMATION ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ The default data stored in the data files are: (1) Raw data file: 'framing_german_raw*.iqdat' (a separate file for each participant) build: The specific Inquisit version used (the 'build') that was run computer.platform: the platform the script was run on (win/mac/ios/android) date, time: date and time script was run subject, group, with the current subject/groupnumber session: with the current session id blockcode, blocknum: the name and number of the current block (built-in Inquisit variable) trialcode, trialnum: the name and number of the currently recorded trial (built-in Inquisit variable) Note: trialnum is a built-in Inquisit variable; it counts all trials run; even those that do not store data to the data file such as feedback trials. Thus, trialnum may not reflect the number of main trials run per block. stimulusitem.1: the presented question response: the participant's response responseCategory: selected response category: "high odds/low pay-off" vs. "low odds/high pay-off" latency: the response latency (in ms); measured from: onset of question count_higherOddsLowerPayOff: tracks the number of "higherOdds/lower pay-off" choices oddsa: stores the probabilities for choice A payoffa: store the amount of money that could be won for choice A oddsb: stores the probabilities for choice B (probability of B = 1-probability of A) payoffb: store the amount of money that could be won for choice B selectedoption: stores the current choice of the participant (A or B) outcome: stores the actual win amount for the current trial earnings: stores the total amount of money earned across trials (2) Summary data file: 'framing_german_summary*.iqdat' (a separate file for each participant) inquisit.version: Inquisit version run computer.platform: the platform the script was run on (win/mac/ios/android) startdate: date script was run starttime: time script was started subjectid: assigned subject id number groupid: assigned group id number sessionid: assigned session id number elapsedtime: time it took to run script (in ms); measured from onset to offset of script completed: 0 = script was not completed (prematurely aborted); 1 = script was completed (all conditions run) earnings: stores the total amount of money earned across trials prop_highOdds_lowPayOff_choices: the proportion of "lower odds/higher pay-off" choices ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ EXPERIMENTAL SET-UP ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ - 8 different payoff scenarios: 8 odds for A (10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%); 8 odds for B (90%, 80%, 70%, 60%, 40%, 30%, 20%, 10%) coupled with reversed payoffs: e.g. 10% A, payoff: 90 - 3 repetitions of each scenario (one for practice) - order is randomly determined ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ EDITABLE CODE ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ check below for (relatively) easily editable parameters, stimuli, instructions etc. Keep in mind that you can use this script as a template and therefore always "mess" with the entire code to further customize your experiment.